 Robotics / 1121
Re: Bumper Ideas Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:15:11 GMT

At 18:53 04-12-1998 Friday , you wrote:
Still don't have my RIK, but here's some ideas...

First, a dumb question... just how far does the typical bot take to stop
when the motors are put into brake mode?

It's almost instantaneous.
The problem is that I'm trying to map a room mapper and I don't want it to move it's position because of an impact so I know where it stands. Besides, the motors can make the bot move very fast!

A hoop skirt could be made of flex-system pieces.  It would be nice and
light.  Give it only two supports, 180 deg from each other.  One would
simply be a hinge, probably a universal joint; the other would be hooked
up to a touch sensor.  The problem here is we need a way to push on the
touch sensor no matter which way the skirt gets bumped.

The skirt would need to be wide and quite springy, which is why I want to
use flex-system and not regular Technic parts.

My other idea is to use flex-system pieces as insect antennae.  Just one,
running out in front and in back in an arc.  (Imagine a bow shape, with no
string and the bot where the arrow would be.  Much weaker of course.)
Both antennas would be attached to the same touch sensor, at the bow's
"handle", such that an incoming bump on either antenna sets off the
sensor.

Great idea!!! :-)

Daniel "Dan'l" Miller                Senior, School of Aeronautics and
danielmi@expert.cc.purdue.edu        Astronautics, Purdue, Indiana
danielmi@cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu

Ass: LAU

A minha pagina: http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/