 Robotics / 1157
Re: Bumper Ideas Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:15:01 GMT

In article <4.1.19981204174702.00a0a030@195.61.90.220>, Laurentino
Martins <lmartins@marktest.pt> writes
I've been the working in making a flexible bumper using only one switch for my
CyberMaster and after constructing about 4 or 5 prototypes I've found out that
after all I don't know how to make a decent flexible-and-with-lots-of-travel
bumper.
I need such a bumper for detecting impacts ahead of the real impact so I can
make a soft stop before impacting the object. Also, the bumper should be able to
read impacts with a wide angle (45 degrees).

Since it seems bumpers are one of those things everybody needs and LEGO has
forgotten to create, I think we could create a mini-contest on how to create the
best bumper with standard LEGO parts.

I don't know which Lego components you could use for this, but I once
saw an all-round bump sensor which looked like the wire frame of a
lampshade, the sort which is like a truncated cone.  There was a sort of
cross-wire at the top which carried a plate which rested on a switch on
the top of the robot, and the lower rim was about 10mm from the floor,
encircling the robot.

When the lower circle hit something, the whole frame tilted, releasing
the switch.

--
Regards - Peter Hesketh, Mynyddbach, Mon.
Forty reasons why a dog is better than a woman: number 10