 Robotics / 1105
1104  |  1106
Subject:
Bumper Ideas Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:09:48 GMT

Hi

I've been the working in making a flexible bumper using only one switch for my CyberMaster and after constructing about 4 or 5 prototypes I've found out that after all I don't know how to make a decent flexible-and-with-lots-of-travel bumper.
I need such a bumper for detecting impacts ahead of the real impact so I can make a soft stop before impacting the object. Also, the bumper should be able to read impacts with a wide angle (45 degrees).

Since it seems bumpers are one of those things everybody needs and LEGO has forgotten to create, I think we could create a mini-contest on how to create the best bumper with standard LEGO parts.

By the way, anyone have any mechanical idea how to make a small round bumper that reacts to 360 degrees impacts (I mean, any horizontal impact around the sensor) and using only one sensor?

Laurentino Martins

[lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]