 Robotics / 1104
RE: Antenna Bumpers/Insects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:03:54 GMT

You could train the neural net within range of the IR.

After that, you'd have the node values set and you might be able to fit that
could fit that into the RCX for autonomous behaviour - I'm unsure about the
usefulness of this with three input and three output nodes.

What would we be trying to teach the bug?

-----Original Message-----
From: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com [SMTP:lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 1998 5:47 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Antenna Bumpers/Insects

Howard,

Since you are into mimicing the behaviour of an insect in some way, and I
know that you are messing around with the Smalltalk Bot-Kit, you might
like
to consider the following for an idea.

One of the interesting things about Bot-Kit is it allows you to drive your
robots directly from programs written on the PC.  This might allow you to
attach more complex logic (or whatever) to the robots decision-making.
One
thing I had in mind was to mimic the behaviour of a cockroach. I believe
that you can simulate the general behaviour of a cockroach using a neural
net with approximately 100 neurons.  I haven't got a link for this but I'm
sure that at some time in the past I found a simulation on the Net to do
this. The computer simulated cockroach would buzz around on the screen
behaving, to all intents and purposes, exactly as a real cockroach would.
Now I think this would be interesting; to use a neural network to control
some sort of physical cockroach built from LEGO. You'd have to build some
neural net stuff using Smalltalk and then to import (or train) the
cockroach
simulation into it.  You could then use Bot-Kit interface to give your
robot
bug a "real brain".

As far as I can see, the main problem with this idea would be keeping the
RCX in contact with PC via the IR link at all times.  I'm not entirely
sure
how this could be done (mirrors?) but some guy in this group did mention
the
possibility of some gizmo from Radio Shack being able to extend the IR
range
using a radio link extender.  I somehow doubt this would give two-way
communication, though.  Of course, using a Cybermaster then would be no
problem since this uses a radio link anyway.

Just food for thought.

Regards,

Andy Bower

Vaan, Howard wrote in message ...
If they really do have such funky antennae they have to have the brain to • go
with them.  I thought you could accomplish insect behaviour without doing
the kind of representational mapping that your answer implies (i.e. size
inference).

I think this may be in danger of straying away from pure RCX-iness - but
biological modelling's a good way to go.