 Robotics / 18113
Re: Even better, RIS 1.5, $99.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 05:49:44 GMT

Mike Payson wrote:

I've been wondering if anybody has any ideas why they chose to go with IR as
opposed to RF?

Probably regulatory.  Lego want to market this in many countries - and probably
don't want to redesign and re-certify it in every market.

The 27MHz band is widely used for toys - but you get a lot of radio interference
from toys, CB radio's and all the other junk on that band.  That might not matter
for an RC Car where a 1 millisecond glitch would go unnoticed - but when you
are transferring digital data you could get in trouble.

Almost all of other radio control model channels either need certification
in many countries - or the freely available band is different in different
countries - or you are restricted from using it for data comms.

The 'obvious' standard now would probably be BlueTooth - but I don't think
that was stable or cheap when RIS was being developed.

The substantial limitations of IR make it highly impracticle
for robotics. The only two reasons I can see would be cost or power
limitations. I can't imagine that RF would cost much more then IR (but I
could be wrong), so I'm assuming it is a power issue.

I doubt it's power...cell phones and 27MHz kids toys seem to run for ages on
their batteries.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net