 Robotics / 18106
Re: Even better, RIS 1.5, $99.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 22:56:22 GMT

Jonathan Spitz wrote:
There's one way for solving the problem with multiple IR communications at
the same time. The method used for old computer networks is called a "token"
wich is passed from PC to PC giving each one a chance to "speak". This could
also be used for linking RCX's.

That's actually what my 1xRCX + 4xScout system uses.

Another way to think of it is "Don't talk until the person before you
has finished speaking".  If each machine has a number, you can send that
number embedded in the message somewhere.

The only problem with a token ring scheme is that if an IR message get's
"lost" somehow, the token is lost and nobody can talk anymore.

Another way is to have a 'master' computer (the RCX in this case) and
have the others be 'slaves'.  Then the master can send a COMMAND to
tell a specific slave to reply with (for example) the value of one
of it's sensors.

Now, the master can talk at any time - unless it just asked for some information,
but the slaves are not allowed to talk unless they've specifically been asked
for a reply.

The big snag with all this is that the turn-around time for the IR signalling
is very slow - so any of these schemes can result in a second or two of delay
between a sensor on one of the slave machines being activated and that fact
finally reaching the master computer.

You must also check that the RCX have IR
contact by sending a reply to the sender or the token would probably get
lost. If any of you get to work on this subject I would be pleased to see
some reults.

I should probably write up my RCX/Scout work and put it on my web site
somewhere.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net