 Robotics / 18094
RE: Even better, RIS 1.5, $99.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 14:50:56 GMT

With the compatibility issues not totally known, plus the cost of
upgrading to 2.0 software, you might look at buying the 2.0 RIS on eBay
or somewhere for not much more.  I've seen sealed new sets go as low as
$120 (usually around $140), and I haven't even looked lately.

That way you've got the latest and greatest.

Liz

So, the RCX 2.0 is virtually the same as 1.0, right?  And I am • assuming
that the USB tower does work with the 1.0, right?

Thanks for your help!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Hempel [mailto:rhempel@bmts.com]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 9:30 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: RE: Even better, RIS 1.5, $99.99

Even more important:  Why is Lego marking down the RCX 50%?  Are • they
discontinuing this?

What is the story?  I can't believe that Spy-botics is replacing • this:
It doesn't have the "juice."

This is a good deal for a RIS 1.5 system. You can always buy
a USB tower if you need one, but for anyone thinking about using
alternative firmware on a non-windows machine, the 1.5 with
the serial tower is easier to deal with.

I think they are clearing out the 1.5 inventory just like they
did with the 1.0 when 1.5 came out. The current version of the
RCX is 2.0 - but there is no functional difference except for
the USB tower in the 2.0 system

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com

----
God bless America!