 Robotics / 17990
Re: super cheap tilt sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 06:04:51 GMT

I once tried to build a two wheeled robot (like a motorcycle) that would
balance by steering (just like a bike) - but I never did get a tilt sensor
that was fast enough to stop it toppling over without also generating wild
overshoots and basically random swinging.

I was thinking about a two legged robot - but a motor-bike robot would be
pretty amazing. I might try doing that myself.

You could try two touch sensors facing each other a short distance • apart
with a heavy ballbearing between them - that would react pretty • quickly -
but again would only tell you that the beast has tilted - not by how • much.

I can get mercury switches and resistors really cheap... they'd probably • be
better than having a heavy ball bearing hit touch sensors...

Yes - unless you are a Lego purist. (Although come to think of it, I doubt
there is a Lego source for heavy ball bearings either).

I'm not a lego purist though. What I do is break a 2x4 electric plate in
half then put the wires from a mercury switch inside it. Then I'm going to
cut some 9V wires in half and solder in resistors so that the wire has one
input and four or five outputs. Then I'd snap the mercury switch bricks onto
that.

About using the light sensor and a pendulum -
The lego light sensor doesn't appear to be very sensitive to visible light
compared to my home-made sensor. But unfortunately the home made light
sensor doesn't work properly when I connect an LED to the same input -
before it goes from <100 for really bright light to >1000 for darkness but
with the LED in the same input it has much less of a range (it stays around
300).
Well thanks for the ideas anyway,
Luke.