 Robotics / 17988
Re: super cheap tilt sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 03:18:03 GMT

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:3CEAAE66.783CD469@airmail.net...
....For relatively slow rotation speeds, you can use a pendulum with a
rotation sensor at the fulcrum (probably geared so you get several • rotations
of the sensor for one swing of the pendulum).

Ok... I didn't have any rotation sensors - but now I've bought two from
bricklink - that is probably cheaper and easier than buying inclinometers,
etc.

....If you actually need to know the amount of tilt, you could create a • pendulum
that gradually shades from black to white so the brightness returned from • the
light sensor directly measures the tilt.  Put the whole thing in a black • box
so you don't have to take account of the ambient illumination.

I was thinking that you needed to put a light-source in there too... but now
I remember that the lego light sensor has an LED on it...

If the vehicle is going to tilt RAPIDLY - then a pendulum will react too
slowly so you'll get wild overshoots and it'll be virtually impossible to
make use of the results.

I forgot about that...

You could try two touch sensors facing each other a short distance apart
with a heavy ballbearing between them - that would react pretty quickly -
but again would only tell you that the beast has tilted - not by how much.

I can get mercury switches and resistors really cheap... they'd probably be
better than having a heavy ball bearing hit touch sensors...