 Robotics / 17986
Re: super cheap tilt sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 20:30:30 GMT

Luke Wenke wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew of any extremely cheap and easy way of making
a tilt sensor - that preferably doesn't involve transistors, etc.

It somewhat depends on how rapidly the tilt can change - and whether you
intend to try to keep the robot level or just to know how much it's tilted by.

For relatively slow rotation speeds, you can use a pendulum with a
rotation sensor at the fulcrum (probably geared so you get several rotations
of the sensor for one swing of the pendulum).

If you only care which way the system is tilted - and not my how much - you
can use a black and white pendulum and a light sensor.  When the sensor reads
'white', you tilt back one way - when it's 'black', tilt the other.  When
it reads a nice neutral grey, you are looking at the exact border between
left and right sides of the pendulum - so your platform is dead level.

If you actually need to know the amount of tilt, you could create a pendulum
that gradually shades from black to white so the brightness returned from the
light sensor directly measures the tilt.  Put the whole thing in a black box
so you don't have to take account of the ambient illumination.

If the vehicle is going to tilt RAPIDLY - then a pendulum will react too
slowly so you'll get wild overshoots and it'll be virtually impossible to
make use of the results.

You could try two touch sensors facing each other a short distance apart
with a heavy ballbearing between them - that would react pretty quickly -
but again would only tell you that the beast has tilted - not by how much.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net