 Robotics / 17989
Re: super cheap tilt sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 01:58:48 GMT

Luke Wenke wrote:

....If you actually need to know the amount of tilt, you could create a • pendulum
that gradually shades from black to white so the brightness returned from • the
light sensor directly measures the tilt.  Put the whole thing in a black • box
so you don't have to take account of the ambient illumination.

I was thinking that you needed to put a light-source in there too... but now
I remember that the lego light sensor has an LED on it...

Yes - that's right.

If the vehicle is going to tilt RAPIDLY - then a pendulum will react too
slowly so you'll get wild overshoots and it'll be virtually impossible to
make use of the results.

I forgot about that...

I once tried to build a two wheeled robot (like a motorcycle) that would
balance by steering (just like a bike) - but I never did get a tilt sensor
that was fast enough to stop it toppling over without also generating wild
overshoots and basically random swinging.

You could try two touch sensors facing each other a short distance apart
with a heavy ballbearing between them - that would react pretty quickly -
but again would only tell you that the beast has tilted - not by how much.

I can get mercury switches and resistors really cheap... they'd probably be
better than having a heavy ball bearing hit touch sensors...

Yes - unless you are a Lego purist. (Although come to think of it, I doubt
there is a Lego source for heavy ball bearings either).

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net