 Robotics / 17532
Re: 802.11?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 05:26:42 GMT

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

I'm new to this list so forgive me if this is off-topic or has been asked
before.

I'm curious if anyone has tried or has some pointers on the net regarding
making a robot communicate using tcp/ip over 802.11 and how it was done.

We're working on the idea now...among others :)

http://open-forge.org

One idea we've been throwing around is taking a PocketPC w/ an 802.11c
card and using it to drive a Cyrix USB controller chip. This chip is
basically a 8051 w/ some ports. Has all the ROM in it to talk to the USB
and comes with some Winblows drivers and dev kit. The step after that is
to write the 'terminal' server for the PocketPC. Once that's done you need
the 'control' app which takes your control input, translates them to
something the hardware on the other side of the 8051 can understand, and
then wrap that in the necessary data for the terminal server & USB ctllr.
to understand what to do with it.

If you don't like that look at the new wireless Palms. The same basic idea
but instead of 802.11b you use the Palms WAN service (would provide much
greater range) for about $40/month. The Palms themselves are under $200.

Our hope is to couple this with a distributed Plan 9 infrastructure, this
would allow somebody in New York for example to run a robot in Texas
(assuming the lag didn't drive you nuts).

Does anyone remember the NASA Diasper Lunar Rover Project back in the
early 90's? Myself and several friends demonstrated it at one of the
RoboFests. Very cool, ran over a 28.8 modem using a regular joystick and
200x200 16 levels of gray for video. At one point the VR Sig in Toronto
had a similar rig setup in one of the members basement. We did a demo of
it also, a different year.

You should also look into Styx-in-a-Brick (ala Inferno) specifically for
the Mindstorms.

Plan 9 & Inferno:

plan9.bell-labs.com

Another idea we've been throwing around is using one of Joe's existing
model airplanes and converting it to 802.11b w/ a standard video broadcast
device. This would allow one to use a Sony Glasstron and a joystick to fly
the aircraft with stereo audio feedback (ie microphones on each wing tip).

Our current status is that we have two 802.11b AP's setup, and the basic
network installed and working. We are working on building the Plan 9 boxes
(a I/O-Auth server first, followed by a file server and at least two
process servers - hopefully complete sometime in July). We have a single
Plan 9 box running now.

The biggest obstacle to both Joe and I right now is our 'day' jobs.
Because of the depressed market business has to do more with less...

The biggest problem we have w/ respect to the robot is the one that has
kept me from putting a web controlled Mindstorm on the net the last two
years, space. Neither myself or Joe have the space at either of our homes.
The person who had agreed to host the site declined at the last minute.
We've had no other parties express significant interest. We've a couple of
leads, but don't hold your breath. We don't consider them very strong.

This means realistically, if Joe and I are the only ones working on it,
that there won't be anything available until at least late this year or
early next year.

If you decide to pursue this as something other than vapor (and I admit
we're in the vapor state at the moment) then I'd definitely like to hear
how you resolve these issues.

                 There is less in this than meets the eye.

                                     Tellulah Bankhead
     ravage@ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate@open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org