 Robotics / 17533
Re: Infra-Red
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:21:03 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões) writes:

I've read this mailing list homepage, but I can't figure if there any
good chances to make my RCX from 1.5 to work directly with the IR
dispositive from the laptop.

No, there aren't.

The reason is that my laptop doesn't have a serial port. Lego says IR
and USB<->Serial does not work... but I don't want to buy 2.0 to get the
USB tower.

The USB tower doesn't work well with Linux for the moment.

use a serial to usb conversor (it works?)
buy a PCMCIA card with serial ports (does it works?)

I've no experience, but I think both should work.
A PCMCIA card should be easy to set up
(from the computer side it should look like a modem),
for the USB converter check that it is supported.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/