 Robotics / 1742
RE: PipeXplorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 00:56:10 GMT

I'm thinking in building a bot for exploring pipes and
conduits with my CyberMaster.

<snip>

Right now I'm more interested in creating the mechanics for this...

Comments?

Sounds like an interesting project.  Are you planning on doing it in 100%
lego as a brain exercise or are you willing to cheat to get it going?

Will the tracks be sping mounted to push against the sides of the pipe, or
will they be under control of the bot?  Possibly a combination, mostly under
control but with a bit of spring for "grippiness"

How will it turn corners? normally a tank turns by changing the directions
of it's tracks, This works fins in 2D but corners in pipes can be "3d"
especially junctions.  If the junction goes off at a funny angle you could
have trouble.

Cheers
Tim