 Robotics / 1798
RE: PipeXplorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 19:48:55 GMT

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Laurentino Martins wrote:
For a real life test I was thinking in making it climb my chimney...
After all it's Christmas, isn't it? *<||:-)

I wouldn't suggest this... if your chimney is used for normal purposes
at all (such as fires) then the interior will be covered with soot,
ash, etc.  This will probably be quite a challenge for your little
robot, and I can imagine it coming crashing down into your fireplace.

At a home supply store (Home Depot, Home Base, your local hardware
store, etc) you should be able to buy ductwork for heating systems.
I would expect that you could buy a decent enough sized section
to test your robot in (maybe two 3ft straight pieces and a bend).
It will also let you play with more possibilities then your chimney
would.

alex