 Robotics / 1759
RE: PipeXplorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:53:16 GMT

It sounds fine!

Two simple questions:

What the pipes are made of? Some materials can be a problem respect to the
radio link.

What kind of pipes are you thinking about? I mean, they must have a "big"
diameter to allow the bot to move inside.

David

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Laurentino Martins [mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
Enviado el: martes 22 de diciembre de 1998 20:41
Para: Lego-Robotics
Asunto: PipeXplorer

I'm thinking in building a bot for exploring pipes and conduits with my
CyberMaster.

Here's the idea:
It must be small enough to fit inside a pipe and also to be able to make
turns without major problems (although turns are not my first priority).
It will "attach" itself to the walls of the pipe by pressing against the
sides of it with wheels/tracks in at least 2 opposite directions, and
pressing with enough strength to be able to climb a vertical pipe if
necessary (important!).
It also must be able to stretch itself to adapt to larger pipes at runtime.
I'm confident the CyberMaster radio link might be able to pick the tower
even on long pipes if I place it near the opening, so I might be able to
command the unit it by hand using a joystick or keyboard.
Later maybe I may be able to place a light and a camera on it. Of course it
would have to drag a cable behind it, but strength to do this should not be
a major problem.
Right now I'm more interested in creating the mechanics for this...

Comments?

Laurentino Martins   *<||:-)

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]