 Robotics / 16523
Re: New to robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:11:29 GMT

All,

thanks for helping to make up my mind it is much appreciated now I just have
to think up a really good project. :)

James

In lugnet.robotics, xenon@3dnature.com writes:
John Barnes wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, James Motley writes:
Can anyone suggest what the best addon to the Mindstorms kit is? I was
thinking about getting either the Vision Command, Ultimate Accessories Kit
or the Ultimate builder kit but wasn't sure which I would get the most
benefit from, any insite would be greatly appreciated.
In my opinion, the Ultimate Accessories Kit is the most useful. I have all
three of these sets and the parts you get in that one are useful all the
time. In particular, the IR remote control is the handiest test tool and a
vital emergency override when errant 'bots are about to make a break
(literally) for freedom and try the stairs :)
JB

  I concur, and would add that I found the Mars Exploration set to have a
number of surprisingly useful pieces including some suspension parts, some
generic large pieces, useful tires and other odds and ends. People who
already own a lot of technic pieces may not find it as useful, but I found it
was a good supplemental parts bin as I had been out of Lego since the early
80s. A number of the 'extra' pieces required to do some of the projects in
the Dave Baum book I purchased were supplied between the Mars kit and the
Ultimate Accessory kit. I bought Ultimate Accessory and Mars together on the
same day, and even found three of the old Znap 'Green Helicopter' sets at the
back of a Toys R Us shelf for $9.95 each to fill out my motor needs and pick
up a few really odd parts (flexible shafts) as well.

  In short, UA is good, Mars is good, and always root around in the back of
toystore shelves looking for hidden good stuff.

  I haven't had to buy anything significant since those purchases, barring a
few extra differentials and universal joints straight from Pitsco-Dacta that
I couldn't find economically elsewhere.

Chris - Xenon