 Robotics / 16519
Re: New to robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:19:33 GMT

Greets, James

   Depends on where you interests lie...

Vision Command gives you a USB "web cam" which can, through your PC, direct
the RCX. So if you want to extend your RCX's intelligence by using the PC to
visually track things, this is the way to go. Not a lot of pieces for your
dollar, though. I find I don't use mine as much, although I do hope to get
into "telerobotics" at some point in the near future. Now, if it were
*cordless*...

Ultimate Accessories is great for the remote control that comes with it. I
find it very helpful when prototyping a new 'bot. The extra touch sensor,
lamp and rotation sensor were also invalulable to me for expanding bot
capabilities.

Ultimate Builder I can't comment much on as I don't own it. Mind you, I do
have the same pieces from other sets (pneumatic cylinders, large turntable,
etc.) and, in my humble opinion, if you are interested in pneumatics first
consider the Technic #5218 Pneumatic Pack as it comes with more pneumatic parts.

I guess it all boils down to where you want your bots to go next! Hope this
helps!

   Cheers!

Carl Jagt

In lugnet.robotics, James Motley writes:
All,

Can anyone suggest what the best addon to the Mindstorms kit is? I was
thinking about getting either the Vision Command, Ultimate Accessories Kit
or the Ultimate builder kit but wasn't sure which I would get the most
benefit from, any insite would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

James