 Robotics / 16474
RE: Building Robots with Lego Mindstorms (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:45:30 GMT

Mario wrote:

There are two Mindstorms books published by Syngress: the one written by • us,
and another one written by Brian Bagnall about programming the RCX in Java
(leJOS). You can buy them separately or as a kit, as you did.

So the Java one isn't written by you? Syngress must have had a bad day when
handing out pre-release info :(

As far as I know, the Java book is not ready for press yet, but I can confirm
that Mario's book is actually at the printers and will be ready for shipping
soon.

I must also add that Mario and Giulio have done a wonderful job with this
book - and it fills a gap between the Constructopedia and the programming
books for Mindstorms.

Another feature of this book (and I hope the printing takes advantage) is
the the wonderful photographs that fill the pages. You won't see step-by-step
instructions. Instead there are sub-assemblies for each model. Care has
been taken to use contrasting brick colors where possible.

Some of the projects are really cool! I'll let Mario tell you about them
if he wants to. Let's just say it rekindled my interest in Mindstorms while
doing the tech edit.

I think this is one book that should be on every lugnet.robotics reader's
wish-list (along with the book I co-wrote, of course :-)

Cheers, Ralph Hempel

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com