 Robotics / 15997
RE: bushing (bush) question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 04:13:16 GMT

Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Elijah Meeker <emeeker@austin.rr.com> writes:
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265c.gif
type 1
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265a.gif
type 2
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265b.gif

They're pretty much the same. But I think Type 1 bushings often have a
tighter fit than Type 2 bushings. It really depends on each specific part
and its particular tolerances. I have some Type 1's that are extrememly
tight fitting, and others that fit loosely.

Type 2 is newer, probably because the Type 1's were too hard to take off the
axle.  I've noticed that most of my loose Type 1's have a hairline fracture
on one side.

Also, the teeth are not often used for anything (e.g. used to
lock an axle).
When I use 1/2 bushings, usually I just need a bushing 1/2 thick. I
rarely need to lock an axle from rotating. Besides, the new 1x2
technic bricks with axle-holes do a much better job of locking an
axle.

All the parts with teeth were essentially replaced with functional
equivalents.  The locking connectors were replaced by the #1-6 angle
connectors.  (But it's still easier to make a #4 out of two locking
connectors than to actually find a #4...)
The nice thing about the teeth was that you could lock the axle at "any"
axle you wanted.  The one toothed set of parts that doesn't seem to have a
functional equivalent is the 1x plates with the holes on the end (usually
used as steering parts).  But then again, one rarely used the teeth on that
part.  I like having a mix of new and old to work from :)
I'll stop rambling now...
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu