 Robotics / 16016
Re: bushing (bush) question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:26:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Elijah Meeker <emeeker@austin.rr.com> writes:
So, there are 3 types of 1/2 bushing:

smooth
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265c.gif

type 1
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265a.gif

type 2
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265b.gif

Can anyone tell me why I would want type 1 vs. type 2? Are type 1
functionally different or just the a first try?

They're pretty much the same. But I think Type 1 bushings often have a
tighter fit than Type 2 bushings. It really depends on each specific part
and its particular tolerances. I have some Type 1's that are extrememly
tight fitting, and others that fit loosely.

I keep all my Type 1's and Type 2's in one bin and use them without looking.

Also, anyone have an
idea why they dropped all the toothing I see on older pieces?

I think the biggest reason is that the Type 1's and 2's were prone to
splitting in half. The teeth introduce a high stress concentration and a
crack can easily form. I have split many of these.

Also, the teeth are not often used for anything (e.g. used to lock an axle).
When I use 1/2 bushings, usually I just need a bushing 1/2 thick. I rarely
need to lock an axle from rotating. Besides, the new 1x2 technic bricks with
axle-holes do a much better job of locking an axle.

Note also that Type 1 & 2 are also slightly wider than a smooth 1/2 bush -
about half the thickness of a tooth wider. Two of them butted together (tooth
side) is exactly the same width as 2 smooths (or a single full bush). And as TJ
says, they're noticably tighter fit, so 2 1/2 bushes holds much better than 1
full bush.

ROSCO