 Robotics / 15992
Re: bushing (bush) question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Elijah Meeker <emeeker@austin.rr.com> writes:
So, there are 3 types of 1/2 bushing:

smooth
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265c.gif
type 1
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265a.gif
type 2
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4265b.gif

Can anyone tell me why I would want type 1 vs. type 2?

I don't have any hard evidence, but I've always found that the type 2's
(later version) grip a little more consistantly. The type 1's in my
collection are either *really* tight or just moderately tight. Type 2's seem
to be consistantly inbetween. But that's just my own experience.

Also, anyone have an
idea why they dropped all the toothing I see on older pieces?

My guess has always been that it was dropped because of the minute spacing
difference. Imagine that a standard full bushing is 1 stud wide (~8mm).
Theoretically, a half bushing should be 1/2 stud (~4mm). But having the
teeth means that there's a slight overlap when two teethed elements are
placed together. Hence, either each toothed 1/2 bushing is either a *little*
bigger than 1/2 stud, OR each 1/2 bushing is a *little* smaller than 1/2 stud.

If the former, there's a problem when you line up a toothed element and a
non-toothed element. Your result gradually gets larger as you add more
toothed elements. And the reverse is true for the latter case. So either way
you have a slight problem.

Of course the other issue is that you actually have to "bind" the two halves
together on a toothed element, whereas the new angled elements stay together
by themelves without needing to be braced on each side...

At least, those were my thoughts as to why they changed them... I could be
wrong...

DaveE