 Robotics / 15828
Re: Got my RIS 2.0 set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 02:55:00 GMT

Does the RIS 2.0 graphical language support the scout?

-a

"Tilman Sporkert (webMethods)" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
I just received my RIS 2.0 set. Here's a quick rundown:
- Part contents is identical to 1.5 except for
  - The RCX is labeled 2.0. Otherwise, it is visually identical to the RCX
    that came with the 1.5 sets. There's no power connector.
  - A single optical fiber is included. I didn't see any place where it
    is actually used.
  - The IR tower uses a USB port, and needs no batteries. There's no
    range switch on it anymore either. Instead, you use a control panel
    to configure it.
- The Constructopedia is pretty much the same.
- The CD contains update software for the old expansion sets.
- The are additional professional challenges on the CD:
  - Security Vault: The light sensor is used as a bar code reader to
                    open two compartments.
  - Refrigerator Fred is a cute little robot that covers his eyes when
                    you open the refrigerator.
  - Artbot uses up to 3 pens to draw on a piece of paper. It uses a
             light sensor to keep aligned with previously drawn lines.
  - Deliverybot picks up things and drops them off somewhere else.
  - Candy Sorter dispenses and sorts candy into two bins according to
    color.
  - Robotic Arm is just that. It rotates, too. A light sensor is used
    to locate objects to pick up.
- spirit.ocx doesn't appear to be part of the software anymore. It doesn't
  get installed, and I couldn't find it on the CD either. Neither did I • see
  any parts of the SDK for programming in the script language directly.
- The "Tour" part of the software shows a climber that climbs up a wire
  oven rack. I suspect you get to build that with the Ultimate Builders • set.

The biggest change is of course in the software:
- The programming screen runs in a fixed 800x600 resolution. But you can
  zoom in and out.
- There's a library of "Big Blocks" for the challenges, like "Shake" or
  "Zigzag", that you can drop into your program. You can expand them to
  see all the steps they contain. You can make your own in a section
  called "My Blocks".
- You can create variables, and can perform various operations
  on them.
- You can add comments to your program.

Tilman