 Robotics / 15490
Re: Logo style Turtle, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 17:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Bill & Sue Margolis" <wmargolis@yahoo.com> writes:
Greetings all,

From the parts in 1 or 2 standard RIS 1.5 kits (perhaps with the addition of
a rotary sensor), I would like to be able to create a logo-style turtle --
i.e. able to do pen up, pen down, move, turn, and so able to produce
programmed geometries.

Has anyone done this?  Being new to legos (alas), I would appreciate any
design advice from any of the many experts on this mailing list.

-thanks,
Bill Margolis

Well, I have done this very thing. This was actually one of my earlier
mindstorms projects. I used a differential drive and a rack and pinion pen
lifting mechanism as described by another individual. The beauty of the
differential drive is that the turtle drives perfectly straight, and
requires only one rotation sensor for driving/turning. The only 'extra'
parts I used on top of the regular mindstorms pieces are an extra
differential, a rotation sensor, and a micromotor, as far as I can remember.
I worked pretty hard at refining the turtle, and I think it came out pretty
compact and sturdy. On top of all this, I made an Ldraw file showing the
step by step instructions. I am anxious to have somone try these
instructions out, so if you want me to send you the file, send me an email:
Robbby31@hotmail.com
Rob