 Robotics / 15488
Re: Logo style Turtle, anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 09:30:38 GMT

"Bill & Sue Margolis" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Greetings all,

From the parts in 1 or 2 standard RIS 1.5 kits (perhaps with the addition • of
a rotary sensor), I would like to be able to create a logo-style turtle --
i.e. able to do pen up, pen down, move, turn, and so able to produce
programmed geometries.

Has anyone done this?  Being new to legos (alas), I would appreciate any
design advice from any of the many experts on this mailing list.

Surprisingly enough, I'm currently building such a thing. I thought that
nobody has already had this idea :-)

Sorry no pictures yet, but I'm glad to share my approach. As Andy said, make
it a differential drive. Very important: keep the pen right in the center of
rotation of the bot, in the midpoint of the ideal line that connects the two
wheels. This way you can turn the robot in place without moving the pen
point, exactly like in the true LOGO turtle.
For the pen up-down mechanism I used a sort of bi-stable arm that's kept in
one of the two positions by a rubber. The rubber also helps in keeping the
pen gently pressed against the floor. The motor has only to turn on briefly
to change the state of this mechanism from up to down and viceversa.

Mario