 Robotics / 14550
Re: RIS SDK - Comments and questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:33:59 GMT

Matt Silver wrote:

I have just started to try this - is it ever cool.
I notice that the Brick options are RCX, Scout and MicroScout
- Does this mean that I can program the MicroScout using the RIS Tower ?

No.  The Microscout doesn't have an IR detector.

The microscout really is a piece of junk.  The business of having the
motor inside the computer makes it hard to build into things, the
pre-built programs are not at all well thought out (where is the "Go forwards
forever" option for example?), it's programmability is limited to essentially
stringing eight (I think it's eight) of the preprogrammed commands together
with a lot of annoying beeping and time wasting in between.  You can't send
it commands via IR link like the Scout and RCX - it uses a different
protocol (VLL - Visible Light Link).

Interesting comment, frankly I am surprised. The MicroScout (MS) is
far from a "piece of junk" considering the fact that you can get the
DDK for $40 (I might modify my opinion if the price jumped much
higher than this). Irrespective of good vs bad design issues, the MS
is an "intelligent motor". This follows a foundational principle of
robotics and machine intelligence. If you are familiar with Saridis'
increasing complexity with decreasing precision theory you will
recognize the MS as a key element in the control hierarchy. However,
I doubt very seriously that the Lego designers had Saridis in mind
when they designed the MS. Their motivation was simplifying the
robotics concept down to a plug (legos together) and play system. The
real complaint should be the moronic R2D2 model that is built around
the MS--of course, this gives credence to the design by market demand
theory.

To program it, you need a Scout to send the VLL commands.  Unfortunately,
to get the Scout to send the VLL commands you want, you have to program
the Scout to make it send them.

So, the Scout commands the MS. I rest my (hierarchical control) case.

Unfortunately, the RDS set that includes the Scout doesn't include an IR
tower - so you need an RIS set as well (or at least you need to have
bought the tower separately from shop@home or something).

Of course. You need the tower, which also gives you another key
player in the control hierarchy, the RCX. I see an elegant evolution
here. Again, I confess that the Lego folks probably were not thinking
explicitly in this way--the market is a cruel master.

So, to review:  We have an unweildy motor that we can't really control
all that well (because of the beeping) and only a minimial amount of
programmability.  In order to program it, we need not one but BOTH of
the more expensive Lego Mindstorms sets.  By the time you have both of
those, you already have four motors and two perfectly good computers...
tell me why I want the Microscout again?

Again, very good value and an opportunity to experiment with a higher
level of robotics, machine intelligence. The MS also evokes the idea
of cooperative robotics--a very dynamic field of study right now,
albeit with this setup the capabilities are limited.

We were out on Sunday and found the DDK at a good price ($40 / Toy-R-Us)
It seemed worth it if just for the Lego parts with the added bonus of the
MicroScout,
as well as a fast non-programming jump into the robot world for him.

I think the parts are worth having - but the Microscout is just a waste of
time.  I'd have preferred a standard Lego motor, a battery box and some
switches.

Let's see: standard Lego motor and battery box (Technics) were going
for $18. For twice that you get a programmable motor and a (big) bag
of parts. The math seems to sway in favor of the DDK.

If you want to get your kids into making simple robots without programming
effort, use the regular Scout - you can do quite a lot of interesting things
with it even without programming it because it's built-in logic is well
thought out.

Also, get a Lego remote control...those work *great* with small kids and
either Scout or RCX (but *not* with MicroScout)
--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>

Surely you don't recommend stopping there? My advice is to get a kid
the DDK. Gets them used to Lego, motion and programming under the
aegis of a popular theme robot (R2D2). When that game is exhausted,
get the RDS and evolve to a higher level with the Scout. I agree with
Baker, pick up a remote control by buying the enhancement set. It has
an extra touch sensor and a light bulb in it--lots of extra fun. When
your kid asks what the position sensor is for just say, "later". When
you are ready, get the RIS (but wait for 2.0) and now you have the
makings of very sophisticated robotic development between the MS,
Scout and RCX.

--
Harley Myler
http://macmyler.engr.ucf.edu