 Robotics / 14551
Re: RIS SDK - Comments and questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:15:38 GMT

Harley Myler wrote:

<snip>

Irrespective of good vs bad design issues, the MS
is an "intelligent motor". This follows a foundational principle of
robotics and machine intelligence.

<snip>

I would hardly call the Microscout an intelligent motor...in technical
definition, perhaps; in practical usability, far from it. In fact, I
would say that the Microscout is *less* intelligent than a plain old 9V
motor wired to a battery box. At least the regular 9V motor can function
in an always-on capacity, which is obviously the most historically
useful function a motor can have. What makes an intelligent motor
intelligent is its quality of programming, an attribute which the
Microscout is seriously lacking in. If the Microscout had better
programming, perhaps basic light-reactive directional switching and an
always-on option, it would be far more in line with the idea of a usable
intelligent motor. I also find it incredibly asinine that you must
purchase the entire line of Mindstorms products just to unlock the
mysterious P feature in their most inept computerized brick.

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/