 Robotics / 14555
Re: RIS SDK - Comments and questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:39:00 GMT

It's *far* from an intelligent motor!  It's a pain to use even as a simple
motor.  You can't even tell it "turn on and keep running forever"...
which seems like a pretty basic operation for any motor!  The darned
thing runs for a few seconds, stops and then goes into an orgy of
annoying beeping!

As far as a motor is concerned I guess 'producing an orgy of annoying beeps'
is pretty intelligent :)

I'd *love* to see a Lego system where the standard system carried an I2C
bus modulated on top of the power signal down a standard Lego wire - then
to have an I2C computer in every motor and sensor.  You could have RAM • bricks,
IR sensor bricks, voice synthesiser bricks, etc, etc.  You could have an
unlimited number of motors and sensors - each one with local intelligence.

If you're not afraid to use non-lego technology you might take a look at the
Velleman K8000 kit, the 'Computer Interface Board'.
It's constantly connected to the PC thru RS232, though velleman also sells
kits to control 'things' by IR.

It has 16 'digital' outputs (one resistor and you got TTL),  8 AD Ports, 4
DA ports AND an I2C interface. It comes with source code (C++, Visual basic)
and is not to hard to build (lots of soldering though).

Their kits also include temperature sensors, liquid sensors, stepper motors
(!), motion sensors, rotation sensors and a PIC, so it is acually possible
to build an RCX out of it.

Though it would be far bigger in size, it would have far more ports and an
I2C bus. Besides, it's got more blinkin' lights, you gotta have blinkin'
lights ;)

Though I'm using it for different purposes I have shot some pictures of the
kit:

http://members.home.nl/zikken

Now *THAT* system would kick ass.

It does :)

My 10yr old kid is programming our RCX in NQC...he was only 9 when he
learned how to do that.

Programming isn't that difficult, it's mostly a logic thing. Kids pick up on
that a lot faster then 'we adults' think.

An RCX is basically the same to a kid as those wooden boxes with different
shaped holes and blocks. It's just fitting the blocks in the correct holes
in a clever way and off you go..