 Robotics / 14556
Re: RIS SDK - Comments and questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:10:53 GMT

Henri Zikken wrote:

If you're not afraid to use non-lego technology you might take a look at the
Velleman K8000 kit, the 'Computer Interface Board'.
It's constantly connected to the PC thru RS232, though velleman also sells
kits to control 'things' by IR.

It has 16 'digital' outputs (one resistor and you got TTL),  8 AD Ports, 4
DA ports AND an I2C interface. It comes with source code (C++, Visual basic)
and is not to hard to build (lots of soldering though).

That's not the idea though.

I'm looking to the *tiny* single chip devices that exist for I2C - those
could be buried inside a sensor or motor without increasing it's size
significantly. A truly distributed system with no large central computer
present in the system at all.

Since each part would come with it's own share of the intelligence, the
system could grow naturally from a single simple device like the Microscout
(one smart motor, one smart light sensor and a battery box with some wires
to connect them together - distributing both power and the I2C bus signals).

An RCX replacement would be a couple of motors, a couple of sensors, a battery
box and an IR detector...but it would be completely expandable because each
new motor or sensor you bought would add intelligence and interface capability
so you could never run out of ports.

But there would be no one 'central' computer to connect them together because
each part would have it's own smarts.

For pre-programmed effects such as the Scout and Microscout use, you could add
a 'program' brick with a small I2C ROM in it.  Whatever parts you connected to
the ROM would execute the program(s) on it.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>