 Robotics / 14430
Re: A code by any other name
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:39:35 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

Your kidding?? The term "code" dates back (at least) to the "opcodes"
used in machine language (ie. an even lower level than assembly).

Ada Lovelace (whose Biography all programmers should read BTW) called
it 'coding'.  She was the very first programer who was writing programs
for the (never completed) Babbage 'Analytical Engine'.  She invented
things like subroutines, if-then-else statements and for-loops and even
thought about computer generated graphics and music.

She must have been the most frustrated programmer in history because
she never got to run a single program and died at the age of 36.

Hence she *didn't* have to invent debugging!

In BASIC:

(BASIC == Beginners All-Symbolic Instruction *CODE*)
                                              ^^^^

I try not to call it "code" (another trendy word)

I recall back when we were writing programs on cards that the
instructions were divided into opcodes and operands and the act of
writing programs was called "coding". I suspect it started long before
I was even born. If this constitutes a "trend" then it's a really,
really, really, really long one.

Yep.

It begs the question: How long does something have to exists before
you don't personally consider it a "trend".

Ada died in 1852 so we can say that the term 'coding' is at least 150
years old and since she was the daughter of Lord Byron (one of Englands
greatest poets), we may imagine that her command of the English language
was pretty good.

So it's "code" - and when I'm writing it, I'm "coding".  :-P

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>