 Robotics / 14413
Re: What are all those lego companies?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:10:56 GMT

However, you can't have spaces in variable names...

This is only due to inertia in the programming language world. Given the • speed of current
hardware, lexical efficiency is no longer as important as it used to be. • It is quite
possible to design language implementations that allow spaces in
identifiers.

It might be quite possible but that would be terribly wrong, and would not
be C anymore. It also would "quite possible" for a computer to understand
natural language but AFAIK no such thing exists.

IMHO this is the kind of nonsense which often goes under the heading of • trendy. Could it
be that there is a group of programmers who leant to read at schools with • books printed in
a special way that contained things like • "JanitAndJohnWentUpTheHillToFetchAPaleOfWater". I
even find that difficult to type let alone to to read!

You failed to propose an alternative.
With Conventions like this code becomes very easy to follow without having
to guess where everything comes from.

Most of us who use western scripts leant to read with breaks between the • words and capital
letters only at the beginning of sentences and in acronyms. So that is the • form we find
easiest to read. Even if we have to use underscores instead of white space • to implement
the word breaks in programs we end up closer to what we are used to
reading.

We're not writing a novel, we're wrtiting CODE.

I guess that I double your output of 100,000 lines a year. I try not to • call it "code"
(another trendy word) as my aim is not to encrypt anything. I call it
"source text".

Now that's not trendy, that's snotty.

However, I don't do much typing. In between bouts of thinking I spend most • of the time
cutting an pasting and dragging and dropping bits of previous classes and • methods to make
new ones.

Most of us programmers don't do any thinking at all when it comes to code.
We work from a set of requirements and design documents where the thinking
is already done. (some of us also do that part BTW) Writing code is like
translating the ideas from those documents into a different language. And we
try to make it readable.

If you analyse what you do, you find that there are very few original • structures
in any piece of software.

Maybe in what you do, but in my position I would still be looking for the
first piece of code. More power to you if you can fake it. I have to
actually write my own code.

When you learn to write your own code you'll probably have a different
opinion. You should be thankfull that some people actually wrote that code
for you to use. You must be very bored in you job searching for the exact
prewriten code for the task you are trying to perform.

You're probably one of those guys who believe that if something does not
exists then you don't need it.

Please do not mix LEGO and CODE.

Francois

Malcolm S Powell