 Robotics / 14360
RE: IR tower problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:58:32 GMT

Greg Ericksen wrote:

WHile i was plugging in the cable for the IR tower, i heard a snap and
noticed that some pins on the plug got shoved halfway into the • computer. How
should i fix this.

If you only *ever* use the Lego tower in that socket - and never use the
tower anywhere else then plug it in an *leave it* !  If you need to plug
and unplug frequently then you'll need to replace the connector on the
back of the PC.

One technique that is forgotten in the days iof surface mount is to use a
sacrificial connector. Back in the olden days, when we updated a BIOS by
changing the actual chip (no FLASH then) we would often put the chip in
a second socket, or put a second socket on the first one on the board.

If you just buy a serial extension cable and plug it into your PC, you can
then plug anything you like in the other end of the cable. Plus you don't
have
to crouch around behind the PC.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,