 Robotics / 13848
  Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

Hi, Here is a link on how to hook up the GP2D02 to the RCX (URL) It seems to be overly complicated. Not to put down on Peter's creation as I think it was ingenious, but there must be a easier way to do this instead of compromising an input & an (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) Hi Ram, I don't know an easier way of using GP2D02 but why don't you use the GP2D12 instead ? It has an analog output. You don't have to analyze any serial protocol. And as the lego light-sensor has a driven light source, it should be possible (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) somewhere I read that the lego motors have a power consumptions from 100mA normal up to 450mA stalled. Am I wrong with this ? BTW why not use an external power pack if necessary ? (...) okay, that won't work that easyly. But if you use a motor (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

Adding a power pack to the interface isnt really a problem. How would you connect it if we use an external power supply? Can we just use Michael's GPAI at (URL) Sorry about the basic questions, I am a software engineer not an electrical engineer... (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

Unless I am missing something here, the Sharp range of IR distance sensors all have power consumptions in the 35mA range, which prohibits their use with the RCX unless you resort to using external power packs. How do you propose getting around this (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) Makes no sense for use with GP2D02 (uses serial protocol). Using the more general purpose analog interface (the one with the opamp) should work well with GP2D12 I think (I'm also no electrical engineer). You can adjust the output then (Sharp (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

Hi, I asked this problem a few weeks (or months??? ... I don't know a what time ...) but nobody could help. I got the same following answer ".... the sensor takes 35 mA and this is to much for the RCX ..." but I couldn't understand this at this (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

Ralf, If you don't need great precision, an easier aproach might be my Infra-red Relative Distance Indicator. See the link below. (...) -- Pete Sevcik sevcik@flash.net Techno-stuff Robotics (URL) for FUN ! (23 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Ralf Krause <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:B691251F.ED3%no...@web.de... Michael, please tell me how you can write that the power can " ... provide 30 mA of power to operate other sensor electronics." As I 've tested it seems that (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) I agree ! (...) How depressing. :-( (...) Of course ! But, it's possible to drive more then one of these sharps with one output. And shouldn't it be possible (without large effort) to use the input-power to multiplex some of the GP2D12 ? (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) Another option would be a small battery box, if you have enough space in your model. Jürgen -- Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr> (URL) (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

"Rainer BalzerowskI" <balze2@gmx.net> wrote in message news:G7K0HL.724@lugnet.com... (...) work out the power supply part. Probably taking all the power from the Motor Output or a 9V battery box so you wouldn't need D3 and D4. (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) The GP2D02 is a very powerful sensor for a robot. Getting it to work will really be great. I think the best bet is to use a 9V battery box for this instead of using a precious output port... Ram (23 years ago, 22-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) Hallo Ram, you are right that my solution for the Distance Tracker Bot, the interface for the GP2D02 is a real "resource killer". At the beginning i planned to istall two of the GP2D02 at my RCX with this interface. That's the reason i'd (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Interfacing Sharp's GP2D02 Distance Sensor to the RCX

(...) Hi All, Philo has a really excellent and well documented solution to the issue 'distance sensor at RCX'. quoting 'connect the analog output GP2D12 sensor using the simplest design possible ' visit: (URL) u.. Andreas (23 years ago, 20-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)