 Robotics / 10849
Re: Rotation Sensors - slightly dissapointed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:55:15 GMT

I've used old mouse rotation sensors in non-lego projects with some success.
They employ a laser counter.  The device can be easily connected to a basic
stamp.  If the counter disk is sealed against contaminantion it works well.

Robb,
----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Jackson <ben@ben.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: Rotation Sensors - slightly dissapointed...

In lugnet.robotics, Michael Gasperi writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Iain Hendry writes:
The program ran successfully for about 20 seconds before I noticed motor • 1
had shifted out of phase by 22.5 degrees - it had slipped/skipped a • count.

Because the LEGO Rotation sensor is a powered type, it might be slightly
sensitive to battery voltage.

If you check the legOS group you can see my posts with some extensive • analysis
of the sensor values for the rotation sensor.  There is a patch to make • legOS
less sensitive to voltage fluctuations and one to debounce the input • (which is
what probably causes missed counts on the standard firmware as well).  I • was
working on very similar designs to those being discussed in this thread, • and
with my changes (using legOS, of course) you get the expected behavior, • with no
missed (or extra) counts.

I doubt you can get very high precision from the stock firmware.

--Ben