 Robotics / 10833
RE: Rotation Sensors - slightly dissapointed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:32:08 GMT

If you check the legOS group you can see my posts with some extensive analysis
of the sensor values for the rotation sensor.  There is a patch to make legOS
less sensitive to voltage fluctuations and one to debounce the input (which is
what probably causes missed counts on the standard firmware as well).

Ben,

I have to go back over the changes, but does legOS sample at the same rate
as the standard firmware? The standard rate is about 333hz, so debouncing would
likely reduce the effective rate to 166hz, which limits the max rate at which
the sensor can keep up.

On the other hand, why would you spin the darn thing at almost 10,000 RPM? :-)

If I understand your solution correctly, I may try to find a way to work it
into pbForth, since it is a big problem there too. I wonder if the problem
is worse with the slow rotation of micromotors.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com