 Robotics / 10293
Re: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:46:57 GMT

Hi Carsten,

The other day I was trying to get to Target. I didn't know where the store
was, so I asked directions. I was told:

<i>Go down the street to the second light and make a left, go two more lights
and its on the right.</i>

Strange. There was no timing involved or counting the turns of wheels, but I
got there.

It seems to me that humans use landmarks to find there way. It also seems to
me we build maps from a relatively small set of landmarks. A gas station. A
McDonalds. Go left. Go right.

Can you solve your positioning problems using a landmark system? Are there
colors or light patterns in the room that can be recognized?

If a landmark system is useful for your problem, I've got some code that will
store landmarks as the robot discovers them. Then you can play back the
landmarks and your robot can find its way home.

If this is useful for you, the code can be downloaded here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/2507/Dowload.htm

The design of the code is here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/2507/SoftBricks.htm

Specifically, look at the Mapping design.

The on-line reference manual is here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/2507/Catalog.htm

And I'd be happy to show you how landmarks can be stored in these maps.

David Leeper (is not a GPS)

In lugnet.robotics, Carsten Müller writes:
Hello,

I think about a little robot, which is able to move around a 'normal'
room/flat and always knows where he stands. The current version of my
robot is able to detect the speed and direction he is moving. But as
everybody can imagine, the error grows and the accuracy of the position
fades away. Now i think about using 2 or 3 IR beacons in conjunction
with a custom IR Sensor to determine the actual position of the robot
inside the room

Now my question:
Has anybody played around with triangulation or are there other
suggestions in how to calculate the position of the robot. My girlfriend
insists, not to paint rectangular shapes on the floor. So I thought of
another solution.

regards Carsten

--
"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
all the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,

     -IBM maintenance manual, 1925