 Robotics / 10326
Re: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:54:35 GMT

Hi Pete,

I was looking back over you post and realized I didn't answer a couple of your
questions.

what are the steps leading up to "...when you get to the X..."?

In the program I wrote there are only a few commands. Go forward. Turn left at
landmark X. Turn right at landmark X.

And how does
a bot determine that it has not found a landmark and needs to ask more
directions.

To be honest, I ignored the problem. Although I knew it could happen in
theory, in practice it never did, though I admit it was a limited set of
trials in a static environment. Offhand, I can think of a couple of possible
solutions. 1) Just stop moving after a given time limit or wheel rotation
count. 2) Have a set of landmarks that tell you when your lost, as in "If you
see a McDonalds on your left, you've gone too far." Really, both answers are
the same. Have a mapping system to tell you when you're not correctly
following your mapping system.

Again, I think the major flaw in all mapping systems that I've seen is
the "GO" command. Moving a robot is not acurate and the programmer has to come
up with ways to deal with the inacuracy, whether its a timer system, a
rotation system, or landmark system.

David Leeper (curses "GO")