 Robotics / 10286
Re: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:56:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Carsten Müller writes:
Has anybody played around with triangulation or are there other
suggestions in how to calculate the position of the robot. My girlfriend
insists, not to paint rectangular shapes on the floor. So I thought of
another solution.

regards Carsten

I haven't done anything with triangulation - from what I understand, it's hard
to implement, not that I could claim any experience with it.  But I think you
could have a solution similar to the rectangular shapes on the floor: Use tape
to make a grid.  The tape can be removed easily, and the robot can compare its
internal position with its position on the grid.

Several people have talked about putting tape on the floor for their line-
following robots.  Apparently the best method is putting masking tape (which
is easy to remove) down first, then putting electrical tape (which is a nice
shiny black for the light sensor, but harder to remove) on top of it.

Hopefully this can provide a solution (albeit somewhat low-tech) for your
problem.
-- Ian