 Robotics / 10178
RE: Rack and Pinion Steering and idea for precise angle of rotation detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:12:06 GMT

Following up on this thread from last year...

While taking apart my Space Shuttle (I needed the turntable for another
project), I noticed that they used this type of connection 4 times. In the tail
fin, and in the lift arm in the cargo bay, two Technic beams are joined
end-to-end by attaching 1x5 Technic plates to the sides, with the studs of these
plates pressed into the holes in the beams. The "plates" (for the lack of a
better word) have rounded ends, and go like this:
  Hole - Stud - Nothing - Stud - Hole
A short axle with washers is inserted through the holes in the end. The whole
assembly makes a very strong joint.

Tilman