 Robotics / 8893
Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and idea for precise angle of rotation detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:52:12 GMT

=>> On it (http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/rack-and.htm) is a scan
=>> and detailed description of my (at last) finally-successful implementation
=>> of a rack-and-pinion type of steering mechanism...

I just looked at your pictures, and I wonder if the way you've got the
final axles mounted (1x2 gray 2-hole beam, studs into side of 1x6
yellow 5-hole beam) is OK.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that
the parts fit that way, but that the mating caused deformation of
either the studs or the holes if left for a long time.

Does anybody else remember that passage?  Or am I just inventing
excuses for why I didn't think of this nice solution? :-)

d.