 Robotics / 8894
Re: External Power Port Problem..?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Nick Taylor writes:
Jonathan Perret wrote:
[snip]
Did the 1.0 RCX really take AC input, btw ??? I've never seen
anything but DC being supplied through plugs like that...

Cheers,
--Jonathan

Hi Jonathan ... yep, the 1.0 RCX can take AC or either polarity
DC.  The LEGO wall wart supplied with their train delivers 10 or
11 volts AC ... and works fine on the RCX.
Yes, but this may be the very reason it has been dropped. A lot of people have
connected DC supplies capable of delivering far more current than the correct
transformer. The problems are that when using a DC supply, only two of the
diodes in the rectification bridge are in use, and will fail at a lower
current than when fed with AC, and with the higher current available from some
supplies, there have been failures...
The best way to go with the 'rear supply', would be to rectify yourself if
required, and have a fuse to provide protection against a short - look at a
fast blow 3A design.

Best Wishes