 Publishing / 2416
Re: Picture piracy on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 04:02:58 GMT

well youll probably be shocked but let me thank you.  It was just a thought to
throw into the arena.  Please realize that my technical knowledge exists in
the realm of litle to none in technical formatting matters.  There is no easy
solution to this if there is one at all.  Any and i do mean any solution will
limit access in some manner or another.  If there is anywhere to look first
for any possible solutions it would be to other sectors of intellectual
property.  You bring up the point of unremovable text from my previous post.
Yes having text only files is a wonderful thing (which would you rather
download a 3k file or a 300k file for the same object) but once again access
probably needs to be sacrificed for security.  A possible solution might be to
build an encryption program into ldraw made so only other versions of ldraw
can read the files.  This is definatly not a be all end all solution but it
does make changes to a file more difficult.
I'm also pretty sure that there are programs out there that make images
undownloadable.  this of course still does not prevent the screen shot method
of recapture.  Like I said there's no good solution.  Except maybe in the
realm of human decency.  It's a grave prospect that we need to worry about
these things.  Thank you for your time.

                                                     -Adam Myers
In lugnet.publish, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Sorry if this sounds harsh--it isn't meant to be.
Adam Myers writes:
A few relativly simple ideas concerning picture piracy.
A) Why not make lcad bricks that are not removable so that models could
contain permanent initials of the author.  this could also be
done by making dat files so that they are read only.  this would
definately be something for Karim Nassar and anyone else on the artemis
project to look into

One of the great thing about the DAT file format is that it's plain text.
How can you make part of a text file unremovable?  Secondly, lego.com never
deals with DAT files, so this would solve no problems there.

B) As for the field of photography making sure that images remain
virgin becomes a much harder prospect.  one solution would possibly
be to create watermarks and register theseunder a central source.  these
digital watermarks would have to be small enough that they would only be
noticeable by someone who would be informed of their location.  So we're
talking a size of maybe 5x5 pixels.  how well these would remain hidden
would be entirely up to the image's author.  agood way to go about this
might be to put a dk. gray watermark into a black area of the picture
(you can decide on any alike colors which you would find suitable).

There are digital watermarking programs that create an invisible watermark
across the whole image which can be decifered with the same program.  I'm
not sure how well these work when lossy compression is involved, though.
Seems to me, however, that the problem with pirated images is not that
people are having difficulty proving what is there own work.  The problem is
that other individuals (in recent cases, lego.com) refuse to act quickly in
removing stolen images.  There is no way that lego.com would ever check
every image they receive for watermarks to make sure that the person
submitting the image owns the watermark, especially since lego.com would
have no way of knowing which screenname matched which mark...
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
BXL34@po.cwru.edu
http://home.cwru.edu/~bxl34/