 Publishing / 2415
Re: Picture piracy on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 03:59:29 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <BXL34@po.cwru.edu> wrote in message

One of the great thing about the DAT file format is that it's plain text.
How can you make part of a text file unremovable?  Secondly, lego.com • never
deals with DAT files, so this would solve no problems there.

Yeah.  But if Artemis ever does become a reality - the new file format could
be encoded and a 'parts author status' could be granted and encoding
utilities can be distributed.  This way we can ensure that dat files (parts,
that is) always give credit to their offer.  A digital ID at ldraw.org or a
future Artemis site is feasible if anyone is capable of offering software
for it.  But again, for it to have any significance at LEGO.com, the site
would have to deal with .dat files.  I do not forsee this happening in the
near future whatsoever.

There are digital watermarking programs that create an invisible watermark
across the whole image which can be decifered with the same program.  I'm
not sure how well these work when lossy compression is involved, though.
Seems to me, however, that the problem with pirated images is not that
people are having difficulty proving what is there own work.  The problem • is
that other individuals (in recent cases, lego.com) refuse to act quickly • in
removing stolen images.  There is no way that lego.com would ever check
every image they receive for watermarks to make sure that the person
submitting the image owns the watermark, especially since lego.com would
have no way of knowing which screenname matched which mark...
--Bram

Doesn't lego.com take down your real name and keep it hidden??  Maybe I'm
not remembering correctly.  But not to say that they couldn't in the future
and couldn't check watermarks - but what 8 year old will take the time to
put a digital watermark in their image?  Then again, it does allow
protection for those serious enough to keep their rights to their images.

Doesn't digital watermarking have some cost to it though??  Maybe that's all
changed from when I was looking at it a couple years ago.

(this post is kinda scatterbrained, so I'm x-posting it to a couple more
relevant groups)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114