 Publishing / 2398
Re: Picture piracy on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:40:31 GMT

Steve,
I believe some people are looking into it.  This involves a pilgrimage to
Enfield Connecticut.  But I'll let them discuss it when they return.

Gary Istok

SRC wrote:

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Alex Zorko writes:
Someone...  ...stole the picture of my model, the "lego mad max
interceptor" and posted it in the lego theme builders gallery.

Read this post and the thread of replies:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=21075

We didn't quite know how to contact you (I think), but the matter has
been raised with TLC, and a not very satisfactory result obtained.

I just read the thread - this situation is disgusting.  It's bad
enough that some scumbag punk (or worse, adult) would steal the photo
(and hence the credit for creation) of someone else's model, but for
TLC to seemingly regard it as a non-issue, while at the same time
insisting on such stringent copyrights for their original sets, is a
double standard and hypocrisy of a level that - frankly - surprises me.

Are we doing anything about this?  Perhaps along with the regular weekly
Cool Site and Phone Specials we should have a weekly Copyright Check,
where any suspicious photos are mentioned so that we can check them to
see if they're stolen.  When over half the photos are stolen, it's
clearly not an isolated incident - something MUST be done about this.

If TLC wants to allow their own off the shelf models to be submitted
as some fraudster's creation, I suppose that's up to them, but what do
we do about photos of our own creations?  LEGO is supposed to be about
fun, sharing, creativity, and other constructive (pun intended) virtues.
Instead, LEGO's gallery is apparently rewarding thieves and discouraging
creativity and sharing, since ultimately the only thing we can do about
this is not post our photos.

I for one will not be posting photos of my sixteen level monorail spiral
or world-record? monorail bridge or high speed container transport train,
etc. unless and until this is resolved.  Don't expect to see any photos
of the NALug Train Show either, but that's a decision in the hands of
more AFOLs than just me, so you still may.

SRC  aka
Steve Chapple  aka
Monorail Master
(I was big on sharing until today.)