 Publishing / 2336
2335  |  2337
Subject:
Project proposal: Seven Wonders of the LEGO World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:54:28 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Who's ready for a challenging and fun group project?!

I'm lookin' at the new LUGNET homepage and thinkin' that we oughtta have a
special area which captures the spirit, imagination, and dedication of LEGO
builders and wraps it up in a Nice Neat Package with a Bowtie -- something
for outsiders, naysayers, friends, family, employers, journalists, and people
trapped in a LEGO blackout or dark-age.  Something to sweep the world off its
feet!

By "Seven Wonders" I mean seven very different and _really truly amazing_
creations -- things that knock your socks off even if you're not a True
Believer in The LEGO Way.  :-)

Here are some examples of what I mean:
* Giant sculptures (like the ones by Eric Harshbarger)
* Huge, detailed LEGO Train layouts (like the ones by GMLTC & PNLTC, etc.)
* Beautiful, breathtaking computer-generated imagery (like what people do with
  LDraw and POV-Ray)
* Amazing things with LEGO Mindstorms (like Jin Sato's "MIBO")
* Giant minifig-scale cities
* Datsville
* Mecha that "strike fear the hearts of men"
* Giant LEGO castle setups (like Ed Boxer's castle or NELUG's TCS display)
* Dennis Bowman's second-to-none trucks and construction machinery
* Shaun Sullivan's AT-ST and all the chicken-leg and other technical research
  he put into it and documented at his site
* Amazing collections of hand-painted minifigs (like the ones made by Craig
  Hamilton and Dennis Chidley)
* Karim Nassar's "microfig"-scale Star Wars models
* The Ancient Building Theme contest
...and so forth and so on!  :)

Is this something you would be interested in contributing to?

The project needs several volunteers:

* one or more scouts to find the shining examples of what our community has
  to offer, and to get permission from the creators of each to do a page or
  two of write-up or story, with photos (possibly recropped or image-enhanced
  as appropriate)
* an art director with experience in the publishing industry who has an eye
  for what makes a good zinger image and can take a good image and make it
  look super-great (by cropping, image-enhacing, etc. -- whatever it takes)
* a writer/editor who can produce high-quality, professional-sounding text
  from notes, outlines, photos, etc.
* someone fluent in building FTX webpages on LUGNET
* a project leader to coordinate/guide discussions, generate enthusiam, make
  tough inclusion/exclusion decisions, etc.

Selection of content is a distinct first "half" of this -- where input from
many brains is needed.  Ideally, each of the seven choices would cover two
or more aspects of the hobby -- for example, "awesome ray-tracing" and
"awesome mecha" might be combined by showing a ray-traced mecha, or, OTOH,
maybe the most fear-striking mecha is from real photos and something like
Datsville is a better ray-tracing choice.

But even before selecting categories or stuff to feature, it would be good to
step back and brainstorm up a big list of all the things that people do with
LEGO -- and that list would also make a great Appendix.  This list would be
Step One.

I can't spend much time on this, but I'll definitely be able to help get the
web area established and running for this.  That is, if people are interested.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.publish]