 Publishing / 1224
Re: Choosing a Digital Camera/New Photos Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 03:40:28 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <38496885.5739D2F4@pilot.msu.edu>...

Frank Filz wrote:

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <3848B160.33487CE2@pilot.msu.edu>...
Well, I went out and found a camera that was under $200.  It's only 850K
pixels, but it seems to work all right, and what's more it's in colour
and it's no worse than my horrible film photography.  At least this way
I don't waste film or time.

Oh, and don't hesitate to tell me if spending another $100-$200 would
really be worth it; I'm new to digital cameras and their problems, but
already I see an improvement.  That's the real question here right
now--whether to return and trade up or rest with what I've got. (Only a
couple of pictures, notably the ironclad foredeck, are at the "fine"
resolution.)

Picture quality looks pretty good. One thing you do need to do is either • not
use lights so the camera will use it's flash, or get yourself some photo
floods. A tripod might help also.

I've thought of a tripod, just for stability's sake--I have arthritis and • it's
bad enough that I just can't elminiate camera shake.

You can get a decent tripon for about $20. Unfortuanately it won't totally
eliminate camera shake unless your camera has a remote. The tripod will hold
the camera fairly steady, but it may still move when you click the shutter.
One trick which would probably work is to use the self timer if it has one.

What brand is it? I just saw a camera in Best Buy for $129. Mike Walsh • has
been telling me to watch for a new camera, and I think the Best Buy • camera
might be the one (hope to ask him today before running out shopping this
evening).

It's a Fuji DX-10; CompUSA has them for $199 right now (but there are no
rainchecks, and when they're sold out they're sold out).  You can get a • rebate
on the media reader so it's effectively free with the camera (after you • wait
three months to get your rebate, naturally).  1024x768 is pretty good, it's • got
a 1.6x digital zoom (I wanted 2x optical, but I'll take what I can get). • If
you're interested in the camera, you have to ask about it--I stumbled upon • them
last night, the flyer came out today, the "sale" starts tomorrow--but I got • it
for $199 last night.

I suspect that you would have to spend quite a bit more to really
significantly improve your picture quality. Now spending in the $300-400
range will get you more features like zoom, and perhaps better macro
capability, but I suspect that for most uses for quick processing of • images
for web use, that your camera will do just fine. If the camera you've • been
taking the black and white shots with is a good SLR, you can always use
color film in it to take your real close shots (assuming you have or get • a
good macro lens) and other tricky shots. You can take the "best picture
possible" with the digital camera to serve as a place holder while you • wait
to get your film back (of course this then assumes you have a scanner, or
get a Photo-CD with your film).

That's a little more involved than I really want to get.  :)  I know so • very
little about photography in general, save astronomical photography, which • quite
patently is *not* close-up work...I just want to fight blurriness and get • some
decent shots.

Well, I think I've just sold myself on a Sony Mavica FD73 (I think that's
right). I went to Best Buy today to look at the $130 camera they had. It
looks ok, but not real super. I also played with the Mavica. This model is
$499. It has a really good macro mode. It looks like it can focus on
something as close as touching the front of the lens housing. In the store,
it got enough light to take a good picture from less than 1" away.
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they didn't have them in stock.

Frank