 Pirates / 239
Re: Choosing a Digital Camera/New Photos Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:26:03 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

Frank Filz wrote in message ...

[ ... snipped ... ]

What brand is it? I just saw a camera in Best Buy for $129. Mike Walsh • has
been telling me to watch for a new camera, and I think the Best Buy • camera
might be the one (hope to ask him today before running out shopping this
evening).

Here is the camera that I was telling Frank Filz about:

http://www.mustek.com.tw/News/nw_1020_2cf.html

It is based on a chipset from SoundVision (http://www.soundvisioninc.com)
that my company, Mentor Graphics (http://www.mentor.com), designed.  The
camera is targeted at the entry level consumer and amatuer digital
photographer.  Although it only takes VGA size pictures, the resolution I
have seen looks pretty good.  The prototype I saw this past summer also
would record something like 30 seconds of MPEG video but from the web site
it doesn't look like this production version does.  I am not sure what the
retail price will be but I have an opportunity to buy one for $100 through
my employer.  I figure for $100 I can't really go wrong so I am going to buy
one.

Too bad the production camera doesn't support the sample imaging which
Mike originally pointed me to. It showed a nice macro shot of a quarter.
This camera will not be able to do that (fixed focus 50cm to infinity).
I'm sure the chip is capable of the original samples, but this camera
doesn't have the optics to support it.

That being said, $100 is a nice price for a snapshot camera.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com