 Publishing / 1070
Re: What´s new at www.lego.com ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:41:39 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Kya Morden wrote:

I will take it from these two posts I'm not the only perso who HATES
TLG's web designs?

Yep. Overproduced... underengineered, and definitely undertested.

That's what you get for letting creative do your web site design.
Creative needs to be a resource to the techies that actually make things
work or you get high sizzle and no steak.

I do this for a living. If anyone happens to disagree, let's take it up
in .publish

(a good website requires 4 kinds of skills...

cognitive - understand how people think about stuff to make navigation
easy and intuitive, make the site consistent and match how people want
to carry out tasks.
business - to help drive WHY you have a site, help measure whether it is
effective, and help tie into the rest of the organization.
technical - to make it work.
creative - to make it look pretty.

Leave out any, overemphasise any and you have a failure... As a techie,
I tend to innately undervalue creative but I know there is SOME value to
it. TLG let creative wag the whole dog.

There is a 5th skill which is moderately valueable, but you can get away
with, which I would treat as separate: technogeek. I would actually
argue that the technogeek is what was allowed to wag the dog here.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com