 Promotional / 1140
Re: 10152 Maersk promo ship comes back as 10155
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:31:31 GMT

In lugnet.promo, Dave Schuler wrote:
   I seem to recall that when the 10152 was released, TLG made a big noise about how “Maersk Blue” was a limited production run and would never be reproduced (or even reproducible, perhaps).

As I recall, Jake McKee implied that Maersk Blue wouldn’t be available again-- the company as a whole didn’t really say anything at all. Then the AFOL community ran with it and made a huge deal over what Jake said.

At the time, LEGO decided to run through its remaining stock of Maersk Blue, and there wasn’t any more left. Totally true. LEGO didn’t comment on whether or not it would ever make any more Maersk Blue, although it DID say that there weren’t any plans to do so. Again, totally true. Jake reported those facts, which seemed to imply that there would NEVER AGAIN be any Maersk Blue.

The one falsity (if memory serves) was that Jake said something to the effect of “this is your last chance to get Maersk Blue”. I don’t think it was stated by the company in a press release or a product description-- it was just what Jake said because at the time, he believed it was true. And he spoke too soon.

A surprisingly larger chunk of the community than I expected was outraged at the re-release, and blew the whole thing way out of proportion (IMHO). And (IIRC) LEGO agreed to accept returns from anyone that bought the first run of the set. And sure enough, Jake admitted that he would never again promise that Maersk was gone for good. ... With good cause, too, because, well, here we are.

My memory may be failing me on that one, but that’s what I seem to remember...

DaveE