 Promotional / 1136
Re: 10152 Maersk promo ship comes back as 10155
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:41:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.promo, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.promo, Dave Schuler wrote:

   An interesting point, but not quite the same thing IIRC. The Maersk Blue issue wasn’t a matter of cost; it was (allegedly) a one-time production of a very limited quantity of this very special color, never to be repeated.

Until it seemed profitable to do so, of course. And this way they get the benefit of all of the first-round buyers who snapped up the expensive set as well as the second-round buyers who’ll pay this time because they don’t want to miss out again.

I suspect the previous limited production run used a batch of pre-colored ABS granules. Now that many of the molding operations have converted to coloration at the machine, it may be easier to make special colors (ie Maersk blue) in limited batches.

That’s my guess as well on the colors... What they said back then was true but not necessarily contradicted. (also, what if this time it’s just medium blue instead of Maersk... the ad copy didn’t, to my read, claim a rare color, but I could have missed it)

What I found most interesting was just the price increase. It’s definitely more than inflation.